blob: 2970b44e826cb104e6f6f112d7f1be933d008b74 [file] [log] [blame]
A couple of days ago, I had sent in an email with the following observation:
>Memory consumption:
>In case of stress test involving lots of clients doing enumeration at
>the same time, the memory consumption starts growing at an alarming
>rate. This is understandable, since Openwsman has to cache the
>enumeration results till the client actually pulls them or they expire.
>This might not be a problem under normal systems where the memory is not
>at a premium but on embedded systems, this will definitely cause problems.
>Actually, let me take that back. It will cause problems on normal
>systems as well. Somewhere between 1.5.0 and 2.0.0 we got rid of the
>max_thread parameter. Currently, I believe each listener thread is setup
>to handle 20 clients. In case there is a 21st simultaneous client,
>another listener thread is spawned.
>Now if one were to look at compat_unix.h, we see this:
>#define InitializeCriticalSection(x) /* FIXME UNIX version is not MT
>safe */
>#define EnterCriticalSection(x)
>#define LeaveCriticalSection(x)
>Seems like mutex locking code is def'ed to nothing on unix systems. If
>that is the case then the moment the system spawns another listener
>thread, there will be problems and since you cannot contain the number
>of threads spawned, you have no control over another thread being spawned.
>I tried to fix compat_unix.h but that just leads to deadlocks that
>Helgrind can't seem to identify.
>This seems like a limitation of the spec and the way Openwsman is
>engineered. I have a working fix for this albeit in the Openwsman 2.1.0
>codebase. Let me try and port it over to 2.2.0 and I shall send the fix
>along. Might take me a day or two to get to this.
>The fix is not conventional but it is config file driven so it can be
>turned on or off on the fly.
I'm sending in the patch to fix this problem.
The patch reintroduces the max_thread config file parameter and introduces
two new parameters:
* max_connections_per_thread
* thread_stack_size
Explanation for the patch:
1. wsmand-daemon.c & wsmand-daemon.h:
The changes here are to read in the config file parameters.
2. wsmand-listener.c:
As I had mentioned earlier, the multithreading capabilities in Openwsman seem
to be busted, since compat_unix.c defines all the locking/unlocking primitives to
blanks. Since we got rid of the max_thread parameter this makes it quite dangerous
since if we have a thread serving 20 clients and a 21st client sends in a request
another thread is spawned which is dangerous without the concurrency primitives
in place.
The change in this file first of all reintroduces the max_thread parameter. I usually
keep this to 1, since I don't want more than 1 listener thread running if there is no
concurrency support. It also uses the max_connections_per_thread parameter to
optimize how many clients you wish to serve by that thread. If more than max_thread
* max_connections_per_thread client comes in it is blocked till one of the threads is
free. I also modified find_not_busy thread to count how many threads are active.
After some profiling it was also a pleasant surprise that Openwsman does not
utilize a lot of stack space. Since each thread by default is given about 2Mb if I
am not wrong, which seems wasteful, so I introduced the thread_stack_size to
optimize the thread stack space. This parameter takes in stack size in bytes and
is used as the input to pthread_attr_setstacksize(). I've tested with as low as
256k(262144 bytes) and Openwsman works just fine even under stress. Your
mileage may vary depending on the OS.
When max_thread is set to 0, Openwsman behaves as it used to. The only
caveat is when max_thread is non-zero, max_connections_per_thread cannot
be zero, since that would effectively mean that the threads cannot serve any
In the case of thread_stack_size set to 0, Openwsman again behaves like it used
to. So set both these parameters to zero to turn off these optimizations.
3. wsman-soap.c:
This is to tackle the problem of Openwsman using lots of memory when there
are too many clients doing Enumerations. Enumerations require Openwsman
to keep the results in memory till they expire or till they are pulled by the client.
On an embedded system, where the memory constraints are stringent, this
could cause problems.
To get around this problem, if there are already max_threads*max_connections_
per_thread number of enumeration results in memory and another enumeration
request is encountered, I return an error saying "Insufficient Resource.......", till
one of the enumerations is pulled or one of them expires.
max_threads*max_connections_per_thread means that all the available
listeners have been utilized to do enumerations, therefore there could be that
many clients making pull requests. I do not block the pull operations or any other
operations since those do not require Openwsman to cache the results.
This optimization can again be turned off by setting max_threads to 0 which is
the default.
Before these changes, the idle Openwsman memory usage was about 8MB and with
10 clients doing simultaneous enumearations would climb up to about 50-60MB. With
the following parameters in place:
the idle memory usage was about 4MB and with 10 clients doing enumearation, it went
up to about 19MB.
I could get the idle usage down a lot more with setting the main stack even lower than
the thread stack using `ulimit -s` in the wsman init file. I could set it down to about 64K
and Openwsman worked just fine.
Your mileage may again vary but feel free to play around with that if you are on a memory
starved system.