Docker Image Specification v1.
This directory contains documents about Docker Image Specification v1.X.
The v1 file layout and manifests are no longer used in Moby and Docker, except in
docker save and
However, v1 Image JSON (
application/vnd.docker.container.image.v1+json) has been still widely used and officially adopted in V2 manifest and in OCI Image Format Specification.
v1.X rough Changelog
All 1.X versions are compatible with older ones.
- Implemented in Docker v1.12 (July, 2016)
- The official spec document was written in August 2016 (#25750)
Healthcheck struct was added to Image JSON
- Implemented in Docker v1.10 (February, 2016)
- The official spec document was written in April 2016 (#22264)
- IDs were made into SHA256 digest values rather than random values
- Layer directory names were made into deterministic values rather than random ID values
manifest.json was added
- The initial revision
- The official spec document was written in late 2014 (#9560), but actual implementations had existed even earlier